[linux] bit OT: spravy -Linux nastupuje do main stream

peto fodrek na kasr.elf.stuba.sk
Úterý Říjen 5 10:53:36 CEST 2004

Vazena konfrencia!

mozno niekoho bude zaujimat co sa deje v svete Linux-u

Iste si vsetci pamatme, ze eru PC a x86 CPU nastartoval system na spravne
rozlozenie vysevu plodin na platforme Intel CPU  based IBM PC s MS DOS a
Lotus 1-2-3

Vdaka uspechom uzivatelov toho sytemu, ho zacali kupovat ostatni framari a
tak sa stal z PC masovy trh

ak sa nemylim tak za tymto projektom bol  United States Department of
Agriculture

ktory dnes v oblasi simulacie lesnych poziarov a vypalovania lesa pouizva
novu uz klasicku trojkombinaciu

AMD-Cray-Linux

nejde sice o High End Red Storm ale o "bezny seriovy"  superpocitac XD1
http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1375
http://news.com.com/Cray+begins+selling+new+mini-supercomputers/2100-1010_3-5396148.html?tag=nefd.top

 SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 4, 2004--Global supercomputer leader Cray
Inc. (Nasdaq:CRAY) today announced that the United States Department of
Agriculture Forest Service has selected the new Cray XD1(TM) supercomputer
to help improve the Forest Service's ability to predict and track the paths
of smoke plumes from wildfires. Financial details were not disclosed.

 "We were particularly impressed with the Cray XD1's awesome scalability on
this challenging interdisciplinary problem. For example, the Linux scheduler
synchronizes the execution of tasks across the processors to the
microsecond. Cray was the only vendor to offer that kind of customization,"
Bryce said.

Cray XD1 sa pritom az dnes zacal predavta oficialne
http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1374
http://www.amdboard.com/cray_100404.html

Preco prave AMD a Linux?  ved je to logicke

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/AMD_on_AMD.pdf

pise dost zaujimavu vec

solutions such as Engineering Design Automation (EDA)...

UNIX to Linux Transition: AMD first used Linux to test AMD-K6R
processor-basedsystems in 1996. We started the transition to Linux for
microprocessor design and verification in 1997. The transition to Linux was
rate-limited by the fact that the Linux operating system was an emerging but
promising technology at that time,
which resulted in the lack of available EDA software for Linux and the lack
of industry standard 64-bit hardware. AMD led the way with commercial Linux
applications. AMD worked with Platform Computing to port their Platform LSF
(Load Sharing Facility) cluster software to Linux long before the market
moved to Linux.

Currently, all AMD internal EDA tool development is done on Linux for AMD64
eliminating the need for specialized UNIX hardware

Skutocne zaujimavy test hier pod Linux na AMD je na

http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2229&p=12

A zavery su skutocne zaujimave

 When we started this review, we had no premonitions on the outcome of some
of our video cards. It's true that installing NVIDIA drivers on Linux is
almost as painless as installing the drivers on Windows; when the SuSE Yast
Online Updates are up to date, installing via the online update is actually
easier than Windows. ATI's drivers, on the other hand, gave us several
problems - so much so that we actually ended up re-doing the analysis a few
times with different kernels/motherboards just to get it right. The lack of
64-bit ATI drivers also prevented us from doing a fair 64-bit binary
comparison of our game lineup.

Surprisingly, most of our NVIDIA video cards scaled very similarly.
Wine(WIN32 API pre Linux) games like Jedi Knight took a 10% to 15% hit in
performance compared to the Windows tests that we did just a few weeks ago.

 Other games(teda tie co maju Linux binarky) like Unreal Tournament 2004
actually showed mild signs of an increase in frame rate on the NVIDIA
graphics cards. Wolfenstein: ET generally performed with similar average FPS
to our video cards from 2003. However, keep in mind that the drivers used
then were almost a year old.

a navyse dalsi Texas Gaming festival je sucastou vystavy o Linux-e Linucon
http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1382

a k tomu dalsie plus body AMD na OpenSource server trhu

http://www.theregister.com/2004/10/01/sun_thumper_revealed/

Sun Microsystems has an all out Opteron onslaught planned for next year that
could include attacks on both the server and storage sides of the house, The
Register has learned.

For years, Sun has promoted the idea of a data center-in-a-box centered
around its UltraSPARC-based servers. CEO Scott McNealy has been the leading
advocate of this plan that has Sun ship pre-tested, pre-configured bundles
of servers, storage, networking and software to customers. Sun has promoted
this as a better deal for customers than buying parts piecemeal and then
assembling the gear on their own.

 Sun will extend this concept to the Opteron market in the coming month
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 At present, details on Thumper are proving hard to unearth. What is known
is
that Thumper is a specially-engineered system that combines Opteron
processors, unique networking equipment and some of Sun's most-advanced file
system technology. The 64-bit release of Solaris 10 also plays a central
role in the Thumper project, sources said.

Along with Thumper, The Register has also uncovered a futuristic
Opteron-based storage system in Sun's labs. This system is still a research
project and may never make it to market, but it's a brand new direction for
the company.

The storage box - code-named HoneyComb - is around 3U high and has four
Opteron blades in the front-end. These servers connect into a midplane,
which has 16 disk drives total on the back-end. It's basically a NAS
(network attached storage) system packed full of capacity. The system
connects to the network via two gigabit Ethernet ports on each blade.

ale AMD  islo ovela dalej
http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=137
6

 MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 4, 2004--Mountain View Data,
Inc. (MVD) announced the release of PowerCockpit 2.1, award-winning software
to provision and to manage 32- and 64-bit PC servers running Linux or
Windows operating systems.

Enhancements in the new release of PowerCockpit include support for major
Linux distributions by Red Hat, Suse, Fedora and TurboLinux, support for AMD
64-bit systems, Linux 2.6 kernel-based deployment, as well as several
improvements to the node set-up and booting process. The new version of
PowerCockpit has been tested on HP, IBM and Rackable Systems servers and
blade servers.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~90845,00.html

 CITRIX IFORUM - ORLANDO, Fla. -- October 4, 2004 --Wyse Technology, the
domain experts in server-centric computing (SCC), announced today at the
Citrix iForum conference that the company has selected the AMD GeodeT GX
533 na 1.1W and GX 466 na 0.9W processors* to power the next generation S class of
WyseR WintermT thin-client devices. The collaboration with AMD allows Wyse
to offer performance improvements at lower power in its latest compact and
streamlined family of thin-client designs.

The AMD Geode GX processor family is designed to provide the ideal
combination of low power consumption, excellent performance and small size.
The application flexibility provided by the Geode processor's integrated x86
architecture and compact size helps facilitate the extremely small form
factor in Wyse's S class devices.

"We are pleased to extend our strategic relationship with AMD to drive
continued thin-client design and performance improvements," said Mike
DeNeffe, senior director of the Wyse Winterm line. "With a history of
innovation and a set of optimized processing capabilities, AMD is delivering
a strong value proposition into our latest designs."

The AMD Geode GX 533 na 1.1W and GX 466 na .9W processors help enable the Wyse
Winterm S class devices deliver more than three times the processing
performance of predecessors with lower power usage and cooler operation
within a diminutive, fanless form factor.

ako aj to, ze den po uvedeniu MDK 10.1 je volna aj verzia pre AMD64
ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors1/ftp.mandrake-linux.com/Mandrakelinux/devel/iso/10.1/xf86_64/

na Net-e pribudlo milion web-ov len za minuly mesiac
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18883
a ako inak klraluje Open source server Apache pre Linux a Windows
 Apache is the most used web server with more than 704,000 sites running on
Apache server came online in the last month while 176,000 were running
Microsoft's IIS.

Prechod na Linux bude mozny aj cez Matlab, ktory je zda sa cim viac napojeny
na DSP a iny HW
http://www.siliconstrategies.com/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=49400394

hadka medzi HP a Sun-om
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5396064.html