[sklug] LWB-2003 in Slovakia

Peter Surda shurdeek na panorama.sth.ac.at
Sobota Srpen 3 10:53:41 CEST 2002

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 05:06:09PM +0200, Stanislav Meduna wrote:
> Well, there are two issues - what the law says and what happens in reality.
> There is normally absolutely no problem with laptops - they are considered a
> "personal item" and I have yet to hear of a case where there was anything
> asked about them (and I know quite a few people travelling with laptops).
I have big problems with my laptop. Though I technically live in Austria, I am
still a Slovak citizen, and they won't allow me to take my laptop (which I
bought in Austria) with me even if it's only for a few days, so I have to
check my emails over ssh :-)

> A formally correct way is to talk to a custom officer on the border, and
> tell them what you have and why.  You probably get a paper from him (or he
> says that it is okay) and that was it.
About this "or he says it is okay": try to politely insist on getting the
paper. When I want the paper, I ALWAYS get this answer, and yet they ALWAYS
ask about the stuff when I'm going back :-).

> However, he has the right to collect money from you that you get back when
> you show that you still have the equipment when exiting Slovakia. This is to
> guarantee that you don't sell it while in Slovakia and it will be at least
> customs plus VAT, i.e. at least 23%.
Yes, this is the main point. I think computers have no customs tax in
Slovakia.

A minor technical correction though: "This is to guarantee that you don't sell
it ILLEGALLY while in Slovakia".

> Regards
>                                    Stano
S pozdravom,

Peter Surda (Shurdeek) <shurdeek na panorama.sth.ac.at>, ICQ 10236103, +436505122023

--
  funny thats the third time since ive been on IRC today that i seen the word
                 "slave" and "microsoft" in the same sentence