[sklug] LWB-2003 in Slovakia

Peter Surda shurdeek na panorama.sth.ac.at
Pondělí Srpen 5 16:46:07 CEST 2002

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 07:41:50PM +0200, Daniel A. Nagy wrote:
> Hi again,
Hi.

> Now, for the necessary preparations. I'm a bit uncertain here, because your
> answers seem to slightly contradict each other (which might be just my
> stupidity :-).
They indeed contradict, we have apparently different experiences.

> IF computer equipment is customs and tax free in Slovakia, then what is the
> problem?
As Stano said, the problem is that it MAY happen that the customs officers
will require you to pay VAT, which is 23%. If you behave nicely and politely,
it is improbable that they will actually insist on this, especially if your
other luggage doesn't look like you're going to sell it, but at least you may
have to argue with them for a couple of minutes.

I can't guess well how much "dangerous" this is in reality. It happens to me
pretty often that they claim I have to pay for something, but fortunately I
always managed to convince them it's ok. Having a linux-only notebook helps as
well, they were confused there was no MSWindows :-).

However, in case this happens, you will definitely get the money back when you
leave the country unless you lose the papers etc.

> 1. A clear description of the procedure to follow, forms to fill out,
> preparations and arrangements to complete before the journey both in the
> country of origin and in Slovakia.
Citizen of some countries (like Russia) are required to have a valid visa and
you HAVE to arrange this on a nearby (from your place) Slovak embassy. Until
2000 or so, it was possible to obtain the visa directly at the border, but not
anymore. Visitors from EU and other surrounding countries (with the notable
exception of Ukraine which I'm not sure about) are free to come in/out without
visa.

Apart from this, you only need a valid passport. They may ask what is the
purpose of visit. I suggest you say you're visiting a conference for about a
week, then it is also less probable there will be problems with notebooks.

"The paper" for the hardware is ONLY necessary if they insist on you paying.
If they don't ask, you don't need anything more. This is the general rule: if
they are quiet, be quiet as well.

I found this thing: http://www.foreign.gov.sk = ministry of foreign affairs of
Slovak Republic. It apparently also has some english info, also you can find
there whether you need visa
http://www.foreign.gov.sk/En/add.php3?text=Visa Information&file=file217.shtml
and how much it costs (about 2300 Sk =~ 52 EUR if I understand it correctly).

Upon checking it I also noticed, you may be asked to assure them you have
enough money for your stay and for travelling back. This is to prevent that
people from poor countries travel here for the vision of better life without
doing anything. It is unlikely that this will happen, if it does, SHOWING a
credit card or some cash will solve this.

Money: It isn't IMHO really necessary to obtain all the Slovak Crowns at your
place, there are enough exchange offices and bank branches, plus you can use
cash dispensers if your card is Maestro-compatible, MasterCard/VISA work very
well too. You can often pay directly with them in basically all gas stations,
many stores and restaurants. The cash dispensers are pretty modern, usually
even newer sort than those I see in Austria. For rates on using credit/debit
cards you have to ask your bank, but you can expect rates comparable to
"modern" countries. And for god's sake, don't try to exchange money with
strange individuals that just stand around and promise good rates, you're most
likely to get screwed.

Current exchange rates are about 44 Sk for 1 EUR and 45 for 1 USD, but a lot
of strange things could happen after the elections this September. I don't
think there is a person that can predict what will happen. It could turn out
well, not change much or fsck up.

> In my experience, costums officials in Slovakia are nice, approachable guys
> in their majority (when compared to the grumpy Russians, with whom you can
> still find your way, if you're not doing anything illegal), so if the law is
> on our side, the show can go on.
As long as you are nice indeed I have to agree they are nice as well.
Sometimes strict but rather in professional than "grumpy" manner.

> Thanks for your informative emails so far. I'm glad you're as enthusiastic
> as I am about an LBW in Slovakia.
Hehe.

If you have any more questions, feel free to use the list.

> Cheers,
> Daniel
S pozdravom,

Peter Surda (Shurdeek) <shurdeek na panorama.sth.ac.at>, ICQ 10236103, +436505122023

--
              To boldly go where I surely don't belong.