[sklug] Request for participation

Richard Liston liston na cc.gatech.edu
Pondělí Březen 25 22:20:25 CET 2002

Hello-

I am a Computer Science PhD student in Networking at Georgia Tech. I
obtained your email address from the site "Linux Online - User Groups"
at http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html.

I am currently researching the performance of the DNS system from different
locations in the Internet worldwide. It is nearly impossible to do this by
obtaining accounts on machines and collecting the data myself, so I am
asking for the assistance of users in many different countries. I have
developed a tool that takes about 6 hours to run. My hope is that people
around the world will run it and then email the results to me. If you are
willing to participate in this study, please visit the following web page
for instructions on how to proceed:

  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~liston/dnsperf.html

All questions about participating in this study should be answered
there. If not, please feel free to contact me at liston na cc.gatech.edu.

By participating in this study you will be helping those responsible for
the Internet architecture to better understand the nature of performance
experienced at different locations in the Internet. My hope is that this
understanding will lead to better engineering of the Internet for users
in all parts of the world.

Best Regards,
Richard Liston

PS, if there are other Unix users that you think may be willing to
help with this study, please forward this request to them in its
entirety, but do not forward it past April 30, 2002 so that this does
not become an Internet chain letter.