[sklug] Introducing Software Freedom Day 2005!

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik na gotadsl.co.uk
Pondělí Červen 6 13:00:00 CEST 2005

Hello,

Mark September 10th 2005 on your calendar! It is the second annual
Software Freedom Day. We will be staging a range of events around the
world to raise public awareness of Free and Open Source Software.

This is a global grassroots effort, and we invite the Free and Open
Source Software community around the world to join in the celebration
and help spread the word! Over 70 teams joined the celebration in 2004,
organising a range of events at schools, universities and public places.
This year, we have every opportunity to grow and make an even greater
impact on community awareness.

What will happen?
-----------------

You may celebrate the day locally however you would like, but we
encourage you to engage in some sort of outreach activity to spread the
FOSS message in your community. For example, you could organise a
seminar or an installfest or simply invite people to meet up in the park
for a picnic.

If you want to participate, please stop by the SFD website [1] and
register a team so that others in your area can find you and hook up.
Our website and wiki have pictures and reports from some of the SFD2004
events, so you can get an idea of what worked well. If you participated
last year, please join us again, and please share your experiences with
the new teams.

How does it work?
-----------------

As last year, we will prepare special promotional materials for
distribution by the SFD teams. In 2004 this included ISO images of a
custom version of TheOpenCD and a custom version of Knoppix along with
some printed materials. Due to our budget constraints we were only able
to produce CD covers while the local teams did a great job of burning
their own CDs and copying materials.

This year we will create a single CD containing both a Live Linux image
and some Windows-FOSS for this purpose. We have funding from our primary
sponsor for up to 15.000 of our custom CDs shipped out to 150 teams
world-wide! We  In addition, other supplies (such as t-shirts and
balloons) will be available, but the quantities and distribution process
of these items is not yet determined (depends in part on the
availability of additional funding).

By June 15th we will provide a simple supply request form where
established teams can request CDs and possibly other materials for SFD.
Be sure to get in your application for supplies before the July 1st
deadline so we can get the supplies produced and distributed in time for
the event.

What can I do?
--------------

The best way to participate is to start forming a SFD team and start
planning local celebrations. Make sure you register as an official team
[1] so you can apply for sponsorship of materials.

We also need help with lots of things on the global level:

Writing: We would appreciate well-written articles about SFD or about
FOSS in general that can be submitted to local media or distributed on
the day. Form letters that can be sent to schools, businesses government
organisation, etc. will also be useful.

Material Design: We have some artwork already, but we need designs for
the SFD 2005 CD labels and covers, as well as T-shirts, balloons,
stickers, or even temporary tattoos!  If you or your friends have some
artistic inclinations feel free to pop into the SFD Forums to share your
ideas and your work.

Donations: SFD funds cover the costs of material and logistics support
that we provide. The more funds we have available, the more material and
logistical support we can provide for teams world-wide. So don't feels
shy about donating :) Any surplus funds can be used for advertising in
the week before the event.  Donations can be made online at the SFD website.

Getting in touch
provide more regional lists as the needs arise.

Best wishes and happy Software Freedom Day 2005!

 - The SFD Team

[1] http://softwarefreedomday.org/